Our Team Members

Our Team Members
click on pic to go to relay website

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hippie Chick 1/2 Marathon

This weekend was wonderful. I was able to run the Hippie Chick 1/2 marathon in Chamopoeg State Park. This is my second year. It is a beautiful course and recommend it to EVERYONE!! It is an all women race -- you can do the 1/2 or 1/4 marathon. They have cute shirts and yummy treats at the end of the race. I PRd, finished 31 minutes faster than last year, so was pleased (although I missed my goal by a minute and 23 seconds!!!).
But the best thing about the race though was running it with my mom. We didn't run together actually, she told me to go on and do my thing, and she ran with my sister-in-law for part of the race, but finished it on her own. My mom is 59 years old and hasn't ever been a long distance runner. In high school she was a great sprinter, but never one for long distance. She started running in November of last year and has kept up really well. She consistently runs a 10 minute mile for 8 miles or less. This weekend, she ran the 1/2 marathon in 2:19:23. Isn't she amazing. This is what running is all about! Making a difference in our own lives in a way that makes us better people inside and out.
A shout out to my sister-in-law Kim too. She hasn't been running long and finished in 2:35. FANTASTIC!!!

3 comments:

  1. Those are memories you and your mom will share forever.
    Anyone that knows how very sick you have been this last year is amazed at your strength and fortitude. You are an example of strength and determination to me. Good job Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again .. great job Sarah! and like Linda stated, you made some excellent memories you will share forever! ANd your mom... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go ladies! I hope that I will still be doing crazy things like running a 1/2 marathon when I am 59! I want to be just like the two of you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete